What is synonymous with summer? Block, right? No, not blockbuster – I’m talking sunblock. This time of year it’s more essential than ever to take care of our skin.
‘Wonder Woman’ – arguably this summer’s biggest blockbuster – definitely uses sunblock. (All that skin showing, plus living on an island? She’d be crazy not to.) So let’s take a page from Wonder Woman’s playbook; only while she’s protecting the world we’ll protect our epidermis.
Here are some key tenets to remember:
• Only Broad Spectrum protects from both UVA and UVB rays.
• Experts advise applying sunscreen 15-30 minutes before going outdoors so it can bind to your skin otherwise effectiveness is decreased.
• The American Academy of Dermatology recommends a minimum SPF of 15, applying about an ounce to your body, with a nickel-sized dollop applied to your face.
• High-SPF products (more than 50) tempt people to stay in the sun too long but do NOT provide additional protection. The FDA has called these higher value SPF sunscreens “inherently misleading.”
• Experts caution against sunscreens and blocks that include pest repellent – those chemicals can be dangerous to your skin and health.
At the Deep we offer lots of options, depending on your skin type, to keep you safe and ready to enjoy summer sunshine. With moisturizer and without. We also offer a wide assortment of exfoliants for both face and body – because when you exfoliate before basking you insure a lovely, even glow.
And if all of this is just too scary we can help select a self-tan product that recreates the rosy warmth of the sun. Without any risk whatsoever.
Diana Prince (Wonder Woman) declared: “I will fight for those who can not fight for themselves.” I’m pretty sure our skin’s long-term health is exactly what she was talking about.